When it comes to connecting with customers, email isn’t sexy but it is fast, easy and affordable. With so many email marketing companies out there, email marketing is no longer the exclusive domain of big business. Your retail shop, service business, or non-profit can benefit from using email marketing as a strategy to connect with customers at a fraction of what other advertising vehicles cost.
- Getting started is easy. You have a computer. You have an internet connection. You know people. You have their email address because they gave it to you which means you have an email list. Find an email marketing provider. We recommend Constant Contact if you are just getting started. They provide hundreds of templates or you can purchase one that is branded to match your website. The platform is fairly intuitive so you can cut, paste and edit your copy within the template. (Their Help Desk is wonderful too!) You can send the email to specific lists and schedule a time in the future to send it or send it right away.
- Email marketing is affordable. Constant Contact lets you get started for free. So does MailChimp. For a few dollars a month and a little time on your part, you can launch an email marketing campaign that produces results. Have you priced TV and newspaper advertising lately? Yikes! Direct mail is nice but with full-color printing and postage, not to mention list procurement, it can be cost-prohibitive for a small business. And, by the way, not one of these mediums offers the kind of accountability that email can when it comes to ROI. (See #3.)
- Email marketing offers a true Return-on-Investment. According to the 2013 Email Marketing Benchmark Report, 60% ofmarketers say email marketing is producing ROI and 32% believe it will eventually. For every $1 spent, the average return is $44.25. (Exact Target). With other advertising mediums it’s difficult to know exactly who saw or heard your message but with email you know who opened your email, who clicked on it, who shared it on social media, who unsubscribed, and who joined your email list. When was the last time another medium was able to give you those stats?
- Email marketing offers engagement. When someone responds to one of your emails that’s engagement! What are your customers and prospects looking for? 77% prefer promotional news, coupons, discounts and free stuff. They prefer information that is relevant to them right here…right now. And, the response can be immediate, so be prepared! Be sure the item you offer for discount is in stock. Prepare your staff. Make sure your website is ready. Email response time can be counted in hours not days!
- Email has a life span. Email sits in the user’s inbox until he takes an action. Over half of all internet users check or send an email at least once a day so the likelihood that your customers and prospects will see your email within hours is quite high! The life of a Facebook post is about 2.5 hours and don’t get me started on the life span of a Tweet! (5 minutes!) Unlike many other forms of marketing, email can be shared so it lives on as it is sent from one user’s inbox to another. It can also be shared on social media. With email, the receiver must take some action…even if it is to delete.
What are you waiting for? You have a computer. You are online. We gave you a link so you can get started with Constant Contact absolutely free!
You might also want to download and read our eBook: Introduction to Email Marketing
If you would rather spend your time doing what you do best, we are standing by ready and able to help you with all of your email marketing needs from set-up, list management and content creation. If all you need is a little coaching and training, we do that too.
Send us an email and let us know how we can help you get started with email marketing.
Your customers are looking for you online. Are they finding you, or your competition?